Today is the 140th Kentucky Derby. While all the spectators at Churchill Downs Racetrack will be celebrating with big hats and mint juleps, some of us may be watching the race from our own homes. The Mint Julep, a cocktail typically associated with the southern United States, consists of bourbon, crushed ice, sugar and fresh mint. Served in a tall frosted glass, this cocktail has been a traditional of Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby for nearly a century.
Join in the tradition this derby day with a traditional Mint Julep or one of the variations listed below.
- Ginger-Mint Juleps with Fresh Pineapple – The Kitchn
- Champagne Mint Julep – The Kitchn
- Blueberry Mint Julep – How Sweet It Is
- Pomegranate Cherry Mint Julep – Fabtastic Eats
- Strawberry-Infused Mint Julep – Cookie + Kate